I like to run. I've learned that it really isn't about where you're going, it's about the getting there - the how, the why, the who with. This blog is just a little repository for my thoughts along the way; the setbacks, the lessons learned, and the occasional triumph.

Friday, December 5, 2008

On the Trail Again...

I'm headed south a little later today to Bloomington, Indiana for the Tecumseh Trail Marathon tomorrow. My expectations are modest (for myself, I mean).

It's only been a month and a half since my Fall marathon season ended, but I did keep up with my training and built back up to an 18 mile long run a couple of weeks ago. However, the last two weeks I've been swamped with work. Mostly, this has just been affecting my mental preparations. This week has been especially rough. Not only have I barely been able to think about the marathon, I've also been unable to find time to make it out for a couple of shorter tune-up runs during the week. (If I'm missing runs, you know I've been busy!)

But really, it's not a race for me tomorrow. The goal, all along, was to use Tecumseh as a final training run for my first attempt at 100K on the 20th in Chattanooga. I'm not trying to set any land speed records. I just want to stay steady and strong to the finish line, for both of these next two races. Both courses will be new to me, both offer plenty of elevation changes, and both should be good experiences all around.

I'll be content just to finish in less than 5 hours tomorrow, but I'll aim for 4 1/2. If that works out, then I'll consider it all a complete success.

Hopefully the forecast for snow will just hold off a day!

3 comments:

704Studio said...

I've been waiting impatiently for the Tecumseh race report! :)

GTI said...

Hi, James!
Alas, the schedule at work is pretty much 16 hours a day right now. (I almost couldn't even go down to the race.)

The words are burning a hole in my brain, waiting to be typed - soon, I hope!

You finally getting over the ick?

704Studio said...

Sorry to hear about the "ultra" long days at work. Hopefully you can reduce the hours soon.

I still have a bit of a cold, but it is not affecting my running energy.

Your running Tecumseh must have inspired me, 2 days ago I ran 2 loops of the South Farms for 26 miles, my furthest long run yet.

I am trying to increase my stamina and endurance for Clinton Lake at the end of March. If I can keep up this kind of training, I will have a chance to run a good time there.