I like to run. I've learned that it really isn't about where you're going, it's about the getting there - the how, the why, the who with. This blog is just a little repository for my thoughts along the way; the setbacks, the lessons learned, and the occasional triumph.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Chicago Marathon Results Quickie

Just gonna dash this off in a hurry because I'm on my way out the door for a well earned carb and protein filled meal with some friends.

I didn't break 3:55, and I didn't break 4 hours, but I did manage to finish in 4:06:44. The weather conditions were not as extreme as last year, because the humidity was (thankfully) totally under control, but the sun was out in force and the temperature was at 78 by 10 a.m., and up to 85 by the time I finished a little after noon. The heat took a toll on me and it was rough the last 4 or 5 miles. The new weather alert system for the race started the day set at Yellow, but was raised to Red ("high," for extreme conditions) by 11 a.m. The next step up would have been Black and that would have meant another race cancellation.

BUT: my 4:06:44 is nearly identical to my finish time 2 years ago at Chicago (my "debut" marathon) when the temperatures were 35 and 40 degrees cooler! And that year, I didn't run a 50K trail ultra 2 weeks before the race! So, I'm pretty dang pleased with myself!

My stomach is growling, so I gotta bolt, but I should have a more detailed race report up by mid-week.

Woohoo!!

No comments: